At Celyn Vet Group, we recommend the following to our dog owners:
1. Arrange an annual health assessment and vaccination against Leptospirosis, Distemper, Parvo, and Hepatitis.
2. Feed a good quality diet like Hills, Royal Canine, with ingredients you recognise as food. Avoid supermarket foods, especially those that allow your pet to pick out some elements and not eat others. Your pet needs a complete diet so feeds that have multi coloured biscuits or a mixture of soft and hard biscuits can lead to them missing some key ingredients if they don’t eat the whole bowl. Feed real food as a treat.
3. Keep their teeth clean by brushing and encouraging chewing on rawhide chews.
4. Deworm every 3 months especially if children are in their environment.
5. Flea treatment. Minimum treatment period should extend from Spring through to Winter until well after a few good frosts.
6. Neuter from about 6 months of age but speak to us about the right time for you and your pet.
7. Microchip your dog to help find it when lost (an added bonus is our microchips have a built in thermometer so no more struggling with rectal thermometers). This is now a legal requirement so if in any doubt ask us about this.
8. Insure your dog against accident, illness and 3rd party damages. Choose wisely, the more expensive policies are often better in the long run. For further advice on insurance, click here.
9. Socialise your puppy properly between 7 and 17 weeks of age. This is a crucial time for learning and you can't go back. If in any doubt speak to one of our nurses for advice on how best to start this process.
10. Join our Pet Health Club and save up to 60% providing all the above to your dog. Click here to find out more.
We understand that having a dog is a big commitment. That is why we are here every step of the way - from making the decision to offer a dog a home, choosing your new addition, it's first trip to the vets and everything else that goes with it! If you have any questions or queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.